Strathalbyn was on the border between the Ngarrindjeri and the Peramangk and there were three regular camping places on the banks of the Angas River. It has been recorded that there were regularly between 100 and 200 men, women and children living there.
The Scots were the first white settlers to Strathalbyn arriving in 1840 and it would appear from records from the time that relations were amicable with the aboriginal people providing much needed labour on the farms.
Few records exist which document the story of the Strathalbyn First Nations people apart from the occasional mention in local newspapers and journals.
A number of scar and canoe trees are still to be seen in the district with two shield trees in the Soldiers’ Memorial Gardens.
The Strathalbyn Aboriginal Action and Reference Group is active in encouraging awareness in the Strathalbyn community in supporting Reconciliation Day, NAIDOC Week and other important dates in the First Nation’s calendar.
Every opportunity is used to advance community awareness of the skills and knowledge of the natural environment, bush tucker foods, natural remedies, crafts and language.
Work continues on identifying and signposting the sites of historical significance around the town.